NAIDOC Week 2021 ended with a sensational bang on Sunday with Ngarigo woman and tennis champion Ash Barty winning the grand slam at Wimbledon.
The Evolve team were certainly having a Barty Party on Sunday night as we celebrated her incredible achievement and were inspired by her strength, grace and humility. As one of only three Australian women to take the title, and the second Indigenous woman, it was the most fitting way imaginable to end a week dedicated to celebrating the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
We were also celebrating the success of our Heal Country On Demand Webinar which was made available to thousands of people last week, helping us get closer to our goal of inspiring ten million allies.
In the webinar, Aunty Munya shares why Country is so important to Indigenous people and Carla shares the five actions all Australian’s can take to connect to, care for and Heal Country!
Here are our Five Actions For Allies:
- Acknowledge Country – whether at home, work or travelling in Australia, take moment to recognise the Traditional Owners continued connection to the land, thank them and pay your respects to their elders, past and present. Start here: Acknowledgement of Country Cards
- Find out about the Traditional Owners, Place Names and Sacred Sites near where you live. Learn how to pronounce the names correctly and to appreciate their significance. Start here: Indigenous Map of Australia
- Seek to understand what connection to Country means from an Indigenous perspective. Start here: What’s so important about Country?
- Heal your Country – change starts with you, what can you do to help care for your local environment? Ten Things You Can To To Help Conserve Australia’s Biodiversity
- Support actions that protect Country nationally – find out about the many efforts currently underway throughout Australia to protect sacred sites and areas of significance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Start here: Indigenous Protected Areas
So, what action will you take?
Become an Evolve Accredited Ally
Stand out in your career as a Reconciliation and Allyship expert!